November 07, 2008

Roman Epitaphs...

I know, I know. Halloween has past so all the ghostly/ghoulish/death-related things should be done. But, I have Roman epitaphs for you!!!
Epitaphs: epi (on) and taphos (tomb) --- originally Greek, but I can't get the Greek letters on the blog so... sorry.
These epitaphs were found on elaborate graves - some even including dining areas so the living could dine on the festival days for the dead...right where their dead family members were buried!
The Romans had 2 laws about burial:
  1. Let no bone show above the ground.
  2. Let no bodies be buried within the city walls.
And so, in the cities, the dead were buried in elaborate tombs lining the roads leading to the city, starting at the city walls and (sometimes) stretching for miles on end. There were many different types of tombs, some were made for freedmen/freedwomen and their families, others were for the rich person's family and descendants. The rich people's tombs were obviously more elaborate than the poor people's were. Many poorer people joined burial societies, where, for a small monthly fee, they had companionship throughout their life and a decent burial.

SO, care to test your Latin skills? Yeah, I didn't think so. Fine, I'll give you the translations.
  1. The Obvious: Sumus mortales, non sumus immortales --- We are mortals, we are not immortals.
  2. The Weird: Rogo te, viator, monumento nil male feceris. Ne quis hic urinam faciat. --- I ask you, traveler, do no bad to this monument. Don't let anyone make urine here.
  3. The True: Quod tu es, fui. Quod nunc sum, tu eris. --- What you are, I was. What I am now, you will be.
  4. The Most-Well Known: Requescat in pace. --- Let one rest in peace.
#4 is known to us as R.I.P and is found on all tombstones sold as Halloween decorations!

Well, I hope you all had a Happy Halloween!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Something to say? Comment here!