November 18, 2007

Thank you - Gratias Ago

For the first time (because this blog is fairly new) I am inviting you all to leave a comment thanking someone (or more) for what they do.

As you all know, Veteran's Day (Rememberance Day in Canada) was on the 11th. Have any of you heard of a poem called In Flander's Fields? It was written by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918) who was part of the Canadian Army. Therefore, growing up in Canada for half my life, In Flander's Field was the poem read by my school every Rememberance Day. We all wore poppies to honor those who had fallen, which lead me to remember that day as Poppy Day. For those who would like to, here is a URL address to the Arlington National Cemetary website's page for the poem: http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

In addition to Veteran's Day, we also have Thanksgiving coming up on the 25th. If you paid attention in social studies class around 1st grade (all the way up to about...I don't know, forever?) you would know the story behind Thanksgiving. Well, www.asklittlestar.blogspot.com is having a mini-Thanksgiving party. Starting whenever you read this post, leave one comment or more describing/telling about someone you would like to thank. It could be friends, parents, whatever you want.

This is the First Gratias Ago (Latin for "I am thankful for").
Thank you,
Little Star

5 comments:

  1. I am thankful to our troops...there is a special program to thank our troops...
    Starting now and ending at midnight, PST on Thanksgiving Day, everyone is invited to send a text message to 8-9-2-7-9 and say thank you...you will receive a reply from an active-duty military member.
    All of the major mobile wireless providers—AT&T Wireless (Cingular), Verizon, Sprint (Nextel, Qwest), and T-Mobile—are providing access to the America Supports You Text Message program. There will be no upcharge.
    Throughout the program, a tally of text messages can be viewed at www.AmericaSupportsYou.mil . On Thanksgiving Day America Supports You will tabulate the total number of messages sent to the troops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am thankful for my parents and my family and a roof over my head and food to eat and for schools and for troops to protect me (even though i wish we would pull out of Iraq...my cousin is going there)
    I am thankful for peace and love and hope and for challenges and for difficulties to overcome to make us stronger
    I am thankful that i am still young and my whole life is ahead of me and that one day we will know that we are safe from drunk drivers and that one day...the world might be perfect but until then, we are all doing our best
    I am thankful that science has shown that there is global warming so we can save our planet and save our rainforests and the oceans and the penguins and polar bears and 3toed sloths and koala bears and panda bears and parrots and rare rainforest plants and manatees and whales and dolphins and coral reefs dotting the shores
    I am thankful that you are still reading this long message and that you will leave one saying what you are thankful for as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thankful for all of the above and more...
    I have texted our troops...their reply was so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thankful for my friends and all of the above...

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...so many thanks...
    I am thankful that you are all helping to make the first Gratias Ago a great one!
    I also have a cousin who is overseas now...
    Save the earth!
    I love the hope and difficulties to overcome statement that you have!
    :)
    Love, Little Star

    ReplyDelete

Something to say? Comment here!